Deborah L. Reece
Ms. Reece’s practice includes family law, domestic violence, and interstate and international child custody. Ms. Reece is a former prosecutor with over 15 years’ experience in trials and training pertaining to domestic violence, child abuse, and child abduction, and is an established family law practitioner. She brings her experience, compassion, education, and training to each of her cases to provide excellent representation for all of her clients.
Areas of Practice
Ms. Reece has handled hundreds of hearings, both as a prosecutor and as a family law practitioner. Ms. Reece was a deputy district attorney with the counties of both Santa Clara and Sonoma. In her first year of practice, Ms. Reece was awarded the Webb Award in Santa Clara County for excellence in trial, which set the tone for the rest of her career. During the bulk of Ms. Reece’s tenure as a deputy district attorney, she prosecuted domestic violence, child abuse, and child abduction cases. Ms. Reece was the Attorney-in-Charge of the Santa Clara County and Sonoma County child abduction units before she retired in 2016. Thereafter, Ms. Reece dedicated her practice to family law, focusing on child custody.
Ms. Reece’s family law practice draws upon her years of experience as an award-winning litigator and advocate. She investigates cases thoroughly and treats her clients with compassion and integrity. Ms. Reece’s deep knowledge of the law established her as a “go-to” attorney for complex or high-conflict child custody cases and a respected presenter on these issues:
- 2021 “Better Together: Using the UCJEA and the Abduction Convention in Concert” – Santa Clara County Psychological Association (with B J Fadem and Nicole Ford)
- 2020 “Child Welfare and Abuse and Neglect Issues” – Sonoma County Bar Association
- 2019 “Child Custody and Visitation Issues” – Sonoma County Bar Association
- 2019 “Child Abuse and Neglect Issues” – Sonoma County Bar Association
- 2019 “Better Together: Using the UCJEA and the Abduction Convention in Concert” – Santa Clara County Bar Association (with B J Fadem and Nicole Ford)
- 2019 "The Hague Convention and the UCCJEA” – California Lawyer’s Association (with B J Fadem and Nicole Ford)
- 2016 “The Criminal & Family Law Response to Child Abduction” – Sonoma County Bar Association
- 2016 “The Hague Convention and the UCCJEA” – California State Bar Annual Conference (with Caralisa Hughes)
Education and Memberships
Ms. Reece received her Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from San Jose State University, where she graduated magna cum laude. She received her Juris Doctorate from Santa Clara University School of Law, where she was the team captain of the Saul Lefkowitz Moot Court team. She received her Master of Laws in Child and Family Law from the University of Chicago, Loyola School of Law, where she graduated with a 4.0 GPA.
Ms. Reece is a member of the Sonoma County Bar Association, the California Lawyers Association, the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, the National Association of Counsel for Children, and serves on the U.S. Department of State Hague Attorney Network. Ms. Reece previously served as minor’s counsel in the counties of Sonoma, Marin, and Santa Clara.